Friday, August 22, 2008

back to reality

It has almost been a week since Mark and I got back from a week of camping with some of his extended family. It was a really good and much needed break for both of us. Our days were filled with reading, relaxing, canoeing, games, fishing, waterskiing, and swimming. Okay, so I didn't join in on the last three activities since I don't really like water, but Mark enjoyed himself enough for both of us! And I did go out several times in a canoe so I'm starting to get more comfortable in those strange tippy contraptions. :) Almost every evening was ended by sitting around the fire with everyone until the yawns get so frequent we would finally all head to bed. The stars were amazing because there are no city lights, and one of the evenings we got to enjoy a meteor shower.



And the sunsets. All I can say is they were incredible each and every night.


There was a bald eagle nest with a few young birds right along the lake and one of the adult eagles was always out looking for food. When we were out fishing (or in my case, just relaxing in the boat), he would follow us up and down the lake. Once in awhile we would through out a fish and the eagle would come down and scoop it out of the water right next to us - it was incredible to watch they fly and to hear the wind whistling through their feathers. Unfortunately, I wasn't on the ball enough with my camera and this is all I got, so you'll have to imagine the eagle and trust that he did exist!


For more photos from camping, visit the Spanish Lake album on the right.

The day after we got back from camping, in the midst of unpacking and airing out all our gear, we stopped by a falconry show that was going on and got a chance to see some birds of prey close-up.

A Harris Hawk:


A Ferruginous Hawk:


And a Peregrine Falcon (my favourite):


For more photos from the show, visit the Falconry Show album on the right.

That evening my parents also came out and we went for dinner and relaxed on our patio, catching up and preparing to say goodbye, as they headed back out east for another semester - however, this time I'll be seeing them within a month as I'm heading out east for a wedding!! Very excited about that as it has been quite awhile since I've been to Ontario.

This week has been a week of adjustments as both Mark and I were back at work and trying to get used to the regular routine again. I'll be starting classes again in a few weeks, and things are really busy for Mark at work because some deadlines are looming closer and he has a few upcoming business trips to plan for.

Back to reality, until the next vacation.

No comments: