I've been home from Nanaimo for 4 weeks already! I cannot believe how quickly time flies. I guess it's time for a big update, so here goes...
My experience on the Island was excellent, work-wise. I was able to emerse myself in the world of GIS, see this great tool put to use in the forestry industry, and learn from some of the experts! Really, the only downside was that it was on the Island, and not in the lower mainland.
Now that I'm back home, I have returned to working a couple days a week with A Rocha. We continue to make strides with the new database system, and we used it for a mailout for the first time just this month! I am also catching up on the GIS work that was completed by interns while I was away over the summer. This fall promises to be one full of transitions for the A Rocha family here in BC. As announced last spring (click here for the official letter), just as I was heading to Nanaimo, A Rocha will be moving it's Field Study Centre from the current location on 172nd St in South Surrey to a new location just 6 km east, along 16th Ave. The national administration office is already at the new location, but in the next month, everything but the garden will be moving - this is going to be a huge task!
Aside from my days with A Rocha, I am spending time at home re-aquainting myself with my house and settling back into life with Mark. I am also continuing the job hunt for full-time GIS work (there are a few short-term contract possibilities on the horizon) and using some of my free time to try and develop a healthier lifestyle. Over the last half a year or so, both Mark and I have realized that we tend to waste a lot of time when we aren't at work and we've been trying to change that. I've started to get back into running and have also picked up some exercise books/dvds so that I have some indoor fitness options when the rains hit - without the cost of a gym membership. And, this summer my mom and sister-in-law helped me kick-start the scrapbook I've been planning on doing of our wedding, so I'm hoping to continue working on that this fall. And Mark has been getting back into his project as well - he's been building a weather station from scratch which he was originally going to surprise me with for our wedding...well, 3 years later and it's still not done, but he's been making great progress the last couple of weeks. We've also taken our bikes out a few times when the sun shines on the weekends, since we didn't get to do it as much as we wanted to this summer, with me living on the Island.
Mark was able to find a new job which started the very Monday after his last day of work at his previous job - but he did manage to get a couple weeks off mixed into his first few weeks of work; one he spent with me in Nanaimo and one he went on the annual Spanish Lake camping trip. It was a bit of an overwhelming initial learning curve for him, but he's starting to settle in and is enjoying most aspects of the new job. The only major downside is that the office is located in Aldergrove, which means his previous 5 min drive to work has increased to 1 hour. He's thankful that much of the drive is against rush hour, and he has also discovered the wonder of audio books, which help make the time pass quicker. While we'd love to live closer to his work, we've decided to stick it out for the next 6 months to a year and see if/where I find myself settled work-wise. Richmond is a much easier place for us to be with only one car, as I am able to take transit for most things and A Rocha is on the way to his office, so we commute together when I go there. If we moved further into the valley, I would have a harder time getting around and I refuse to get a second car until I have a job to pay for it, and even then, will get it only if it's absolutely necessary.
Whew. I think that's most of it. Did you make it through? I really should start posting at least once a month, if anything to keep the length of each post down! :)
Happy Fall!
No comments:
Post a Comment