Rain.
Or, for those who want a bit more of an explanation, it's when the Pacific Northwest (Oregon, Washington, BC) gets hit with warm, moist air originating from Hawaii which dumps copious amounts of rain when it is forced up against the coastal mountains. I know, it's not a really technical definition, but since my brother will likely be reading this, I don't want to attempt one for fear of making him laugh at my lack of knowledge when it comes to weather systems! :)
Yesterday, we were hit with the first Pineapple Express of the season. It dumped about 100mm of rain in East Abbotsford in one day, and 165mm were recorded in Chilliwack! Needless to say, pretty much all the rivers have swelled, fields are flooded, and some homes in the Chilliwack area were evacuated. Here are a few pictures I took of the Sumas River, which runs by my house:

These shots are a before and after, taken from the bridge in my driveway:

Today, the storm blew through, the sky broke open, and we could enjoy some sunshine! Quite nice after the torrential rain - although I will admit that I do love these storms and quite honestly, don't mind the rain when it comes down in sheets. It's all the drizzly days when it's really just trying to rain that I find gloomy.

No comments:
Post a Comment