Tuesday evening we took the bus into Vancouver and enjoyed the Canada Day fireworks from Stanley Park. We had some bus adventures on the way in, but overall still had a great time away from home.
Yesterday, Mark headed back to work but I continued my holidays and went on an overnight bike trip with my mom. We took the ferry from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay and then biked the 30ish km from the ferry to Victoria where we met up with my dad, who's staying out there teaching a two-week course. It was a beautiful ride and definitely the longest one I've done ever. We followed the Lochside Regional Trail, which follows an old railway line and travels along the water, through farmland, over wetlands, and past suburban neighbourhoods.
We explored Victoria yesterday evening, spent the night crammed in my dad's hotel room with all our bikes, and then headed back to the ferry in the morning. We stopped in Sidney for some lunch and as we were finishing our last bites, looked at the time and realized we only had half a hour left to make the ferry. So, rather than waiting another hour for the next one, we hopped on our bikes and took off. Little did I realize that just minutes before the ferry terminal there were a few big hills we had to climb - and my legs were already tired from the whole trip! But, we only had minutes left and my mom was ahead so I dug in and pushed it until my legs were jelly and felt like they had no strength left. Thankfully, the torture wasn't for nothing, as we pulled up the terminal about 5 minutes before the scheduled sailing and managed to get tickets.
All in all, a great trip although I know I'll feel my legs tomorrow and I already feel my butt.
Note: If you want to see more photos from this past week, look at the links listed under Photo Albums on the right.
No comments:
Post a Comment