We had a great time even though it was probably one of the wettest weeks I've camped with a campfire ban. :) But, we made the most of it and got out on the water many times, and finished our evenings playing games of Rook and Cities and Knights instead of sitting around the fire. I've created a photo album with some shots from the week, so feel free to browse through them - click on the Spanish Lake 2009 photo on the right. Here's a taste:

Last weekend we got up at 5:15 and drove out to Chilliwack with a bunch of the Dykshoorn family and hiked Mt. Cheam. I hadn't been there since we did it with out grade 7 class, but it is an amazing hike. You're out in the open the entire way (mostly because you drive quite a ways on a old logging road that's not longer maintained) and this translates into some breath-taking views - that is, if there aren't any clouds. :) And as you'll see if you browse the Mt Cheam photo album on the right, we had clouds. But, the flowers were out, and in some ways, the clouds added to the scenery because of how they drifted up from the valleys and through the mountains.

And this weekend, Mark and I decided to go kayaking. I had never been although Mark went a couple times last summer, but last winter we bought a certificate for kayak rentals at the A Rocha fundraising auction/dinner and it expires this October, so we decided we better use them! The weather was great on Saturday, so we called them up and reserved two single kayaks for two hours that evening. Not sure if everyone who reads this knows, but I'm not a big fan of water and water-related activities. I had a couple bad canoe-tipping experiences and really dislike being wet and swimming. Call me crazy if you will, but I prefer dry ground. :) Anyway, ever since I started going to Spanish Lake, Mark has been working hard to help me enjoy being on the water (not in!). I've gotten more comfortable in a canoe on fairly calm days, although I still only trust having Mark with me. So, when we successfully bid on these kayak rentals, I knew I was going to have to try it. And after Saturday, I think I'd be willing to go again. They feel way more stable than a canoe, and most of my frustrations stemmed from trying to steer where I wanted to go. Not surprising, since I've never actually had to steer a boat before. I've added a few photos from this trip to the Spring & Summer 2009 album, but here are two, to prove that I was actually in the kayak:

All in all, August has been a pretty good month on the activities side.
We'll save the job stresses for another night.
No comments:
Post a Comment