Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I'm back...

After a bit of a sabbatical from blogging, I have decided to give it another shot. I think I stopped posting because I was hoping to have job-related news and nothing was happening. At times, I felt like I was always in limbo, waiting and hoping to hear back from different applications.

I'm starting to realize that I need to enjoy each day and the opportunities it brings, even if they don't answer my questions regarding employment. Because of this, I've started to do a few small painting projects at home and have many organizational projects in mind. I've also started running again. Back in high school, I looked forward to the runs they forced us to do in PE class. Then in university, I ran once a week with a friend, but slowly, even that stopped happening. Then last summer I found a great deal on a 3 month gym membership and decided to try and get back into shape. The result? I loved going, and easily went 2-3x a week, doing a mixture of weights and cardio each time. However, once the membership expired, I chose not to renew it because the gym was not in a great location - as in, it was either a half-hour bike ride each way or meant I had to go in the evening when I could use the car, instead of in the afternoon (on my Chapters days, I get home mid-afternoon). I investigated a few other gyms that were closer to home but gym memberships are so expensive and many of them require a year-long contract. Since I don't know what my job situation will be in the next year, I don't want to commit to that right now.

Then, I stumbled across the Sun Run website and found a 13-week training program for learning to run 10k. At the time, Mark was gone to New York (state, not city) for 8 days for work and I was going a little crazy being on my own. So, on a whim, I decided I would start running again. The result? I'm 8 weeks in and can comfortably run 4 10 minute segments with 1 minute of walk inbetween. I love being outside and have discovered that I can run a 5km loop right in our neighbourhood that includes trails through a couple parks and no busy street crossings. The best part? It's free (besides the cost of a good pair of shoes) and it's right outside my door!

While I continue to browse for job advertisements and wrestle with questions regarding my future employment possibilities, I am working to find something good about each day, learning to continue enjoying life amidst the uncertainties.

P.S. Click on the photos on the right sidebar to see photos from our Olympic adventures and the Koole Christmas weekend.

No comments: